‘Festive Dancer’ (Coffee Bean Shape)
Featured at NOVICA, in association with National Geographic
This intriguing mask by Gordon Adu is shaped like a coffee bean. Adorned with tribal markings, it depicts a dancer from the Dan tribe of Côte d’Ivoire and parts of Liberia. Masks like this one are worn during festivities and also make an appearance for funeral rites.
- Free Gift Wrap From West Africa
- Gift Message Card
- Artist Story Card
- Weight: 0.9 lbs ,
- Measurements: 11.25″ H x 5″ W x 2″ D
- Features: Sese wood
- Made in: Ghana
ABOUT THIS ARTIST
He took advantage of an offer from one of his older brothers, a carver, to help hone his latent talents.
Born in 1974, Gordon Adu was unable to finish secondary school because of economic limitations, and thus fell back on his natural artistic inclinations. He took advantage of an offer from one of his older brothers, a carver, to help hone his latent talents. In eight months Adu had advanced greatly in the creation and finishing of wooden art.
Armed with talent and burgeoning experience, he moved to the city to seek new opportunities. After a while he returned to his home city and established his workshop there, receiving indispensable moral support from his brother.
- HAPPY ARTISANS – Fair prices, no binding contracts, and the freedom to make a success of their craft by building a sustainable business.
- HAPPY CUSTOMERS – Unique handmade products, great value, and the joy of helping to nurture and elevate the craft of global artisans.
- A GLOBAL MARKETPLACE – Artisans from around the world (many living in rural communities) don’t have the means to sell their work on the international market. NOVICA gives them a free platform to do this, and reach customers on a global scale.
- REGIONAL SUPPORT – Our teams of local art experts based in every region, provide artisans with all the backup they need. From product development advice, to quality control assistance, we are there to make their listing process as smooth as possible.
- DETAILED ARTISAN PROFILES – If you’re like us, you care about who you’re buying from, and who you’re supporting. This is why we go out of our way to capture the real artisan story. On every product page you’ll find a portrait and detailed biography of each artist.