Painting ‘Chatting in the Shop’
Featured at NOVICA, in association with National Geographic
Friends gather after work in a coffee shop to sip tea, coffee and soft drinks, and chat about the day’s activities. Laughter fills the room as Basuki Ratna celebrates their camaraderie. The Indonesian artist works in a warm palette of earth colors to convey their feelings.
- Only 1 made
- Free Gift Wrap From Bali
- Gift Message Card
- Artist Story Card
- HAPPY ARTISANS – Fair prices, no binding contracts, and the freedom to make a success of their craft by building a sustainable business.
- HAPPY CUSTOMERS – Unique handmade products, great value, and the joy of helping to nurture and elevate the craft of global artisans.
- A GLOBAL MARKETPLACE – Artisans from around the world (many living in rural communities) don’t have the means to sell their work on the international market. NOVICA gives them a free platform to do this, and reach customers on a global scale.
- REGIONAL SUPPORT – Our teams of local art experts based in every region, provide artisans with all the backup they need. From product development advice, to quality control assistance, we are there to make their listing process as smooth as possible.
- DETAILED ARTISAN PROFILES – If you’re like us, you care about who you’re buying from, and who you’re supporting. This is why we go out of our way to capture the real artisan story. On every product page you’ll find a portrait and detailed biography of each artist.
ABOUT THIS ARTIST
“Culture, tradition, social activities and everyday life in Bali have inspired most of my paintings. I love to capture people while working, relaxing, and doing other activities.”
“As a hobby, my painting activity began to develop in 1985 in a painting studio named Merpati. At first, I made drawings in the dirt or on the wall. But my brother-in-law is an art teacher and is considered a senior painter in our city. Under his guidance, my skill developed into drawing on paper with crayon and watercolor.
“My family supported me in this. I had faith that by practicing and – most important – having knowledge, one day I could reach my goal of becoming a good painter. Therefore in 1992, I studied at IKIP Surabaya, majoring in fine art. The lecturers were senior painters like Salamun Kaulam, M-Sattar, and a Balinese painter named Nyoman Lodra. Nyoman Lodra is the teacher who introduced me to the richness of Balinese culture and tradition. One day when he went back to Bali, he invited me to go with him. I was so overwhelmed by the beauty of Bali that I decided to live there.
“Culture, tradition, social activities and everyday life in Bali have inspired most of my paintings. I love to capture people while working, relaxing, and doing other activities. “At the beginning of 2006, I moved back to my home city and become an art schoolteacher.” Basuki Ratna’s work been exhibited extensively throughout Indonesia.
Stainless Steel 2 Tbsp. Coffee Scoop$9.49 view more details or purchase
Bodum Santos Stovetop Glass Vacuum Coffee MakerStarting from: $60.00 view more details or purchase
Silver Caffeine Molecule Necklace$34.99 view more details or purchase
Handcrafted Necklace ‘Coffee Leaf’$89.99 view more details or purchase